Many thanks to Jill and Books ‘n’ All Book Promotions for my spot on this Blog Tour.
I am convinced that author Jay Raven is one of those magicians who can use subtle strokes of his pen, string the words in such a way that an innocent line becomes deadly and can hit hard with its barb. Horror written in short stories had me gasping yet dancing with wicked joy.
My first book by this author, the stories were short, but each more fascinating that the previous. I kept wondering how the author would surpass the earlier one. But he did, EVERY SINGLE TIME.
The last line of each story left me bewitched. What a wicked mind this author had!! 8 short stories which could be read in less than an hour, showed me the human psyche and the different sins and desires. There was a hint of dark magic on all of them, sometimes subtle most times blatant. Ruthlessness of these magical old crones had shades of gray on it. But each had an unholy glee hidden in it.
The author himself called it Gothic horror, but I would say it was horror in its purest, undiluted form that appealed to my dark side. I wish I could say I liked one story more than the others, but that was not so. The author’s writing made each story unique, and evil had never been weaved so politely as this author could.
There was magic in the prose, a dark magic albeit, I loved how the stories lulled me initially just to finish me off with the last line.
I was cracking like a witch at the end of the book. Or would you call me a crone? Go on, I dare you!! Beware!!
I downloaded the digital copy of the book from Kindle Unlimited, and this is my journey into its pages, straight from the heart!! STRICTLY HONEST AND UNBIASED.
All my reviews can be read here
Dark fantasy author Jay Raven blames a misspent childhood watching Hammer Horror films for his lifelong obsession with history, woodland, horse-drawn carriages and visiting castles – preferably during the hours of daylight! All of which might explain why he now lives in a creepy old house perched atop a steep hill on the edge of a 500 acre forest teeming with bats.
A writer for 23 years, Birmingham-based Jay was a journalist before leaving behind the clamour of headlines and deadlines to chase his dream of capturing monsters and releasing them into the world of fiction. During that time his work has been widely published in horror and fantasy anthologies on both sides of the Atlantic.
As well as reinventing traditional Gothic horror for a modern audience, he writes alterative history urban fantasies – usually with supernatural themes. He loves to cross genres and bring unexpected elements – if not elementals – to the party.
He has two regrets in life – that he hasn’t had a chance to visit Transylvania yet, and that his house isn’t haunted. But long suffering wife Liz has threatened to do something about the latter…
Forget Happily Ever After – the most delicious fairy tales end in darkness and despair….
Welcome to a mystical age of cruelty, hexes and treachery, where malicious magic rules and you are but a single necromancer’s spell away from eternal terror.
From malevolent medieval magicians to Wild West witches, this spellbinding volume by a master of the macabre is packed with frightening fables guaranteed to send a supernatural chill down your spine.
Among the haunting historical horror stories, you’ll encounter:
• A half-crazed girl locked up in a high security mental hospital by those accusing her of causing a devastating earthquake.
• An impoverished French noblewoman who’ll stop at nothing to marry off her daughter to a wealthy prince – even if it means relying on a dangerous love potion.
• The hated public executioner Pandora whose fabled box has already killed 55 men – without leaving a trace of violence on their bodies.
• Wily witch Merta who has to use all her wits and trickery to turn the tables on the corrupt Mayor who wants to burn her alive at the stake.
• A faery mage without conscience or pity with the perfect plan to make Mankind turn on itself – and all it takes is one innocent baby.
• A drought-stricken frontier town that seeks magical help from the local Indian tribe to make it rain, but learns it comes at a terrible cost.
• The doubt-ridden King, plagued by nightmares of his death, who consults an enchantress to learn the most of hidden of secrets: just when the Grim Reaper will claim him.
• A Mid Western widow who is convinced her homesteading husband is still alive, held hostage by a sorceress.
Publication Date: 9th April 2019