I loved the blurb, I loved the beginning of the story. The book started with a shocker – a suicide. Julia was found hanging from the porch, and her mother Claire was devastated. What caused a happy 20 year old, studying journalism, to take such a drastic step?
The author Nicole Trope started the story with a bang which went on to describe a mother’s pain. There can really be no words on this earth to describe that grief. The story continued with Claire’s investigation into her daughter’s life where she made startling discovery of Julia being in a secret relationship.
The whole premise of the story was thrilling, but there were so many facts that niggled me.
- Claire was unlikable. I could understand her pain but not her attitude. Her reactions felt odd at some moments.
- The flashback showed scenes but didn’t show love between mother and daughter.
- I could guess the reason of Julia’s death from the very beginning, it was obvious and icky. But I could let go of it for the story
- The ex-husband was an abuser one who physically hit Claire throughout her marriage but was shown as a reformed man. It all felt a little unbelievable.
- The new husband was a bit whiny at times
I liked that the book read fast, the ending was left for us to assume. The letters written to Julia brought out each layer of her relationship and the way it progressed. Claire’s grief and helplessness and glimpses of her determination was well written. The plotline had a kick, and I read the book to see if I was right in my guess.
I received an ARC from NetGalley and publisher Bookouture, and this is my journey into its pages, straight from the heart!!
All my reviews can be found here
Would you read such a story which has darker sides of a relationship? Would you read this trope?
In the middle of the night, Claire wakes up to discover that her beloved daughter, Julia, is dead – and life, as she knows it, is over.
Searching for answers, Claire stumbles upon a pile of letters, hidden under Julia’s bed in an old, battered shoebox, and feels closer to her daughter than ever before. They tell her that Julia was happy, that she was thriving at university, that she was in love.
But as the letters go on, Claire starts to feel uneasy at something hidden between the lines. Even as she grieves, she must prepare to face a shocking discovery. Because Julia was hiding a terrible secret – and when it’s uncovered, it will make Claire question everything she thought she knew about her daughter…
Publication Date: 19th March 2019